How to Redirect a Domain Name
Many have asked me “How do you make a domain name go to a different page?” As an example this describe how entering www.MrEdWoods.com as a web address ends up at a LinkedIn profile. MrEdWoods.com is not actually a website but a simple redirect.
Why would someone do this? They may have created a FREE WordPress.com website and they want to keep it. They simply want to make their domain name point to that FREE website.
Here is a simple way to accomplish this without needing to go in and change server settings.
- You must first have a domain name registered. (Register one here)
- You also need to have a basic website setup (Contact us. We can help)
- You must have the ability to access the web files and change the index.html
- Below is the contents of the index.html that redirects
- The bluish lines are the basic html needed for the file along with the
- the yellow meta tag line accomplish the redirect to the bolded web address
You can copy and paste this code:
<meta http-equiv=”refresh” content=”0; URL=https://www.linkedin.com/in/mr-ed-woods/”>
We have used this approach for many other purposes like a simple web addresses that goes to long address.